Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How To Set Up "paid Subscription" Podcasts
Podcast Pickle Forums > Podcasters > Podcast Discussion
realdeals
Hi folks, I need some help and could really use your advice.

I need to know how to go about setting up a paid subscription podcast. I am in a very unique sports niche and I'm developing very original weekly content to provide to this niche market.

My plan is to give the subscribers about 4 FREE shows first to get them warmed up, interested, and willing to pay for future weekly content. Then, I want to have them subcribe to receive the weekly sports content which is extremely unique, original, and one of its kind--the subscribers will not be able to get this content any where else, They will then subscribe on a month to month basis.

Now here are my two challenges I need your help with:
1) how do I set this up so that once the free episodes have been cataloged in the various directories, the subscribers CANNOT get the new weekly material unless they have paid the monthly subcription fee--since the feeds in the directories will be publically available?

To recap: they get the first 4 episodes Free, but they need to subscribe thru PayPal monthly for the remaiing weekly episodes. So I need the exposure of adding my feeds to the directories like ITunes, etc. along with the flexablity to send the "paid weekly content" to actual paid subscribers

2) With the above scenario, how can I set up an affilate program that will pay me and the affiliate each month for the paid subscription? Any ideas on software, or affilate manager programs that allow for a monthly subscription and is totally automated? Affiliate participation is very important in getting a quality subscriber base to this sports niche.

Thank you all in advance for any help, suggestions, or info on setting up "pay per episodes". I greatly appreciate it.

RC biggrin.gif
Erika
I am not sure this will be as easy, especially when you talk about working in a delivery service like iTunes.

One option may be to do a once-a-month "lite" version of your show that you keep free and add to various directories to promote your paid, longer episodes and website. Those longer shows would be subscriber only content, which you can lock down by password (use Feedburner for an easy solution to this).

Check out The School of Podcasting for an example of this set-up. The "Morning Announcements" is a free podcast Dave uses to promote all of his other services while still giving away something of value.

Once you become a School of Podcasting member (or "student") you can access his subscription only content and feeds.

What you are describing with giving away 4 free shows and locking down the rest to paying subscribers sounds very involved technically - and what is to stop them from subscribing as a new subscriber over and over, continuously getting four free shows at a time?
Steve and dawn
I think this can be done with Podpress if you are using wordpress.
Josh
i shouldn't be too difficult to do 4 and then change to a pay per subscription service.

Just put the first 4 on an open server for all to access. then the later shows get put on a secured server so when the member's podcatcher wants to access, they have to enter their password.

it sounds good, but after thinking about it, i don't think any podcatcher would allow this to happen.
Planet Retcon
Yeah. The big problem is that podcasting is designed to be free. All the podcatchers and hosting services out there are geared toward having your listeners download the episodes for free.

Perhaps, instead of charging for your content (Something that can, considering how used we all are to free content, end up hurting you more than helping you) you should find a sponsor in your very unique sports niche. Find someone who sells the clubs, or the pads, or the oars, or the 3/4 inch rubber mallet holders, for your sport, and point out to them that you can guarantee that 100% of your listenters will be interested in their product. See if you can get them to drool.
Slusy
QUOTE(Josh @ Jun 13 2006, 07:10 AM) *
i shouldn't be too difficult to do 4 and then change to a pay per subscription service.

Just put the first 4 on an open server for all to access. then the later shows get put on a secured server so when the member's podcatcher wants to access, they have to enter their password.

it sounds good, but after thinking about it, i don't think any podcatcher would allow this to happen.

Well, I don't think any podcatchers allow password entry.

What I guess you'd need to do is generate one feed with four episodes that's public and then generate custom feeds for every paying customer that only they can access and that you can shut off if they stop paying. There are a few shows that do that, but it seems like custom-written stuff, mostly...
realdeals
thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions

RC
realdeals
To Steve and Dawn,
I just checked out Podpress and yes it seems to be the answer to my problem. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Have you used Podpress long? What are your personal impressions of it? Seems like the reviews are good.

RC
Barely Podcasting
I guess my question is why do you want to have a paid podcast? Has your show been around for a while? How nitch is it? I just have a feeling that you might be shooting yourself in the foot at this point.
Seuss
I agree... IMO there are far better ways to mentize your cast than charging for IT.

Good luck though... you'll need it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.